Eating high calorific foods, reduced activity levels and increased alcohol consumption were some of the thing’s lockdown comforted us with.
But moving forward it’s time to get out of our comfort zone on the couch and get going again.
With the easing of lockdown many of us moving forward will want to make some changes. Whether its healthier eating, more exercise or reducing our alcohol intake.
NO PLAN IS A PLAN TO FAIL
For positive change to be effective we have to plan ahead.
KEEP A DIARY OR JOURNAL- If you write down your goals in a way that inspires you, you increase your chances of success in achieving your goals by a whopping 30%!
KEEP FOCUSED – If you can measure your progress when working towards your goals, this figure increases to a staggering 60%!!!
SMARTER- As a Coach one way I help clients increase their chances of success in any endeavour is to, make sure my clients create SMARTER Goals.
These are: –
SPECIFIC – YOUR Goal, e.g. to be a certain dress size.
MEASURABLE- Size 10 e.g. is the measurement you want to be.
ACHIEVABLE – Make a meal & exercise plan to achieve your goal e.g. fruit salad for breakfast, soup for lunch, fish & salad for supper- aerobics 3 times a week.
RELEVANT- It must mean something to you, e.g. to look amazing in your bikini.
TIMED- when do you want to see the results, e.g. 6 months from now in time for your holiday in Spain.
ENTICING- How would that impact your life in exciting ways e.g. feel confident to start dating again.
RECORDABLE- Recording and Reviewing your results along your journey will keep you motivated to continue and help you change your plan if somethings not working.
TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR ENVIRONMENT- So for example if your goal is not to drink alcohol on a weekday, you have to make sure that you have no alcohol in your house to tempt you. If its to eat healthier then a good plan would be to stock up on fresh fruit and vegetables, so you have a handy snack available when you need it and have fresh wholesome foods to include in your meals.
PREPARE AHEAD- when going to work planning what you’ll have for lunch and taking your own packed lunch will not only save you some pounds money wise but also weight wise if you choose healthy options, so if one of your goals is to lose weight or just be healthy this will help you achieve that goal.
Also, by shopping in advance for groceries (when you are not hungry, I recommend eating something before you do your grocery shopping) that are healthy and batch cooking meals on your day off and freezing them, you ensure that when you get home from work, exhausted and starving, that you’ll have something quick, convenient and healthy to re heat.
My 5 Moving Forward Changes are;
- To eat at least 2 servings of fresh fruit a day
- Make a third of my diet vegetables
- To only drink alcohol at the weekend
- To do weight bearing exercise 3 times a week
- To stop eating processed meats like ham, bacon, sausages etc…
What’s YOUR 5 Moving Forward Changes?
Now its time for you to break each change down into mini changes and make them SMARTER by answering the following questions.
- I will achieve the following (e.g. Lose weight and be a dress size 10) ————————————————————————————————————————————————————
- I will achieve this because (I want to look good in my bikini on holiday)————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
- Here are the things I need to do (my mini goals) in this order to achieve my goal.
First: (e.g. snack on fruit) —————————————————————————–
Secondly(e.g. increase my vegetable intake) : ———————————————————————–
Thirdly (e.g. remove all alcohol from my environment):—————————————————————————
Fourthly (e.g. order some home weight bearing equipment such as handy dumbbells and some resistance bands and make an exercise plan):————————————————————————-
Fifthly (e.g. make a shopping list to include plenty of fresh fruit vegetables and fish and no processed meat):—————————————————————————–
- Today I will start by (e.g. looking for healthy vegetable soup recipes on the internet) ——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
- For this I need access to the internet, find some recipes to follow, to buy a hand blender and some ingredients and I will get these from the supermarket and the internet ———————————————————————————-
- I will know when I’ve been successful in achieving my mini goal when- (e.g. I find a healthy soup that I enjoy eating and is quick and easy to make.)
- I will reward myself for achieving this by – (e.g. buying a new bikini in my goal size 10) ——————————————————————————
- The obstacles I may face are (e.g. not finding a recipe I like or can quickly or easily cook)————————————————————————————————————————————————————
- To over come this I’m going to- (e.g. try a few different recipes on my day off, when I can take my time and then make a big pot of my preferred soup and freeze for the rest of the week) —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
- I will review my progress ( e.g. in 2 weeks’ time on the 15th of July)——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
- This is the progress I’ve made (e.g. I’ve lost 4 pound)————————————————————————————————————————–
- I will be ready to tackle my next mini goal when (e.g. I have formed the habit of having home made soup for lunch everyday for 2 weeks)———————————————————————————————————
- My next mini goal is (e.g. to start weight bearing /resistance exercise/ to join my local gym or buy some resistance weights I can use at home or do push-ups & sit-ups)——————————————————-
And then start the 12- step process above again for measuring that mini goal. Until eventually you will be on the path of achieving all 5 of your Moving Forward Changes.
Don’t dive straight in and try to achieve all 5 Moving Forward Goals at once, start with the easiest one first then, once you feel you are in good stride with that mini goal move onto the next, ideally leaving two weeks between them.
Don’t forget to keep a journal or diary of- your goal, your progress, your setbacks and success!
Let me know your goals moving forward, you can tweet me #My5MovingForward or DM me on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. When you share your goals, you make then real and commit so share with your friends and family too
Or if you’d like 1:1 help in achieving your goals email me today firstname.lastname@example.org or take a look at our Mumatherapy page for more information. link here
Until next time Stay Present,